Sunday, 12 June 2011 21:16
Democratic Change in Iran
Protection for Residents of Ashraf
Date & Time: Saturday, June 18, 2011, at 3:30pm
Venue: Parc des Expositions de Paris-Nord-Villepinte, 93420 Villepinte
The grand assembly of tens of thousands of pro democracy Iranians, joined by prominent speakers from United States, Europe and Middle East, to highlight the need for democratic change in Iran and support for members of the Iranian opposition residing in Camp Ashraf-Iraq. A similar event last year in Taverny, France drew close to 100,000 participants.
Specific background to the event:
- Since the beginning of the year the Iranian regime has stepped up execution including several supporters of the Iranian opposition the Peoples Mojahedin Organisation of Iran (PMOI) and other dissidents for demanding change and taking part in the uprisings.
- Growing popular discontent and call for regime change in Iran, and increased economic crisis and the regime’s failure to deal with them, has brought the clerical regime to a position much more vulnerable than ever, resulting to increased feuding within the regime, in particular Khamenei’s faction.
- Fearing its downfall, the regime has resorted to all means to destroy the organised opposition. Accordingly, on April 8, at the behest of the clerical regime, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri-al-Maliki ordered its forces to attack Camp Ashraf, home to 3,400 members of the PMOI. 35 were killed and 350 wounded.
- The gathering on June 18, takes place eight years after the raid on the headquarters of the National Council of Resistance of Iran on June 17, 2003 in which 165 Iranian dissidents who are political refugees in France were arrested. Recently, the French judiciary dismissed all charges relating to terrorisms and terrorism financing. The investigative magistrates concluded that there is no evidence that the PMOI was ever engaged in terrorism and recognized the right of legitimate resistance.
- A majority of members of Parliaments of several European countries including the French National Assembly recently signed a declaration recognizing the National Council of Resistance of Iran.